Going to a job interview can seem stressful and nerve-wracking. You may be re-entering the workforce after raising children, or applying for a new job in your field with higher pay. Whatever the reason, going to the interview means that you are very interested in getting the job. Did you know there are secrets to success that you can put to work for you during every job interview? Follow these 5 secrets to success, and you will be well on your way to landing that new job:
1. Dress professionally, neatly, and conservatively. This may seem like a no-brainer, but it is one of the top things employers really want to see at a job interview. For women, this would mean attire such as a dark, professional looking pair of dress pants or skirt, and a smart-looking (not too brightly colored) blouse. For a man, this would mean darker colored dress pants and a white shirt and darker tie. Depending on the job, you may also want to wear a suit jacket. Be sure your hair is neat and well-kept.
2. Initiate a handshake. Be the person who confidently walks into the room, says hello, smiles, and gives a firm handshake.
3. Make eye contact. Always look the person interviewing you directly in the eyes. This shows him/her that you are giving them your full attention. It is a big secret to interview success.
4. Take notes. Bring a note pad and pen, and take notes about the position. Have questions written down to ask, to show you are interested in learning more about the job and what it entails.
5. Sit forward during the interview, with good posture and attention. Always show interest and alertness. Maintain the eye contact.
An additional tip for success during a job interview is to always remember to say thank you when you leave — follow that up with a carefully written thank you note. Following these 5 secrets will definitely help you attain success during a job interview. Do you have any additional tips to add? Share with us in the comments below.